Monday, June 17, 2019

CUSTER STATE PARK - DAY 2

CUSTER ART
This morning I woke to about a half inch of wet snow on my car. So, another wet and cool day ahead.  The forecast was once again overcast with possible snow showers. As there was no rush to get out the door, I finished packing, and enjoyed another motel breakfast. Then I was off to Custer State Park once again.
Basically I drove the same route through the park starting with the Wildlife Loop and then doing the Needles Highway afterwards. Before seeing any wildlife I stopped at an overlook to see into the valley, and enjoyed a short walk to do some close-up photography of the environment. 


Along the Wildlife Loop Road today I saw more variety of wildlife, starting with white-tail deer. The doe was quite close to the road, and again I used the car as a blind for photographing it.
Soon I came across some bison with calves. Some of the calves frolicked about while others stayed close to their mothers. 

Then pronghorn came on the scene. These are beautiful animals with unique horns. They are quite shy and are generally located along ridge lines. They are quite fleet of foot. 




There was a lot of open range to drive through and it was quite beautiful.  

I again drove the Needles Highway, this time in the opposite direction. The weather was about the same as yesterday with snow flurries to add to the mood of the area. 

CATHEDRAL
 As I approached the Needles Eye Tunnel a car came along that helped to show the size of the tunnel. 


EYE OF THE NEEDLE
It turned out it was being driven by a local guide so I had the benefit of his services indirectly during a stop in the area. I had not seen the "Eye" of the Needle yesterday, but I did see it today as I wandered about the area thanks to the guide having taken his clients to see it. When driving I think it is impossible to see it unless you have a clue as to where to look.  I also got a picture of the "rock duck". 
MR. ROCKY DUCK

It was late afternoon as I exited the area and I decided it was time for my late lunch/early dinner. I had read about Sylvan Lake Lodge and decided that it would be a very pleasant stop. It is located in a spot suggested by Frank Lloyd Wright. The hotel and cabins sit in a hillside forest of pine and spruce, in harmony with the rugged landscape. It is similar to other park lodges built in the early 1900's.


The two pictures flanking the chimney are by Albert Bierstadt, a German artist who painted romantic interpretations of the west. 

On the way back to Rapid City I made a slight detour to photograph the Crazy Horse Memorial from a distance. As you can see, it is still a work in progress.

CRAZY HORSE MEMORIAL
It was now time to head back to Rapid City, turn in my car rental, and wait to meet my fellow photographers for our visit to Badlands National Park. The weather delayed our meeting, but eventually I was met at the airport at about 10:00 rather than 8:00 p.m. It was an hour drive to Wall, S. D. where we were staying. So, again it was a bit of a short night as we would be off to photograph early in the morning and sunrise would be about  o530.  We would be off from the Motel about 0430!

HIGHWAY ARCHITECTURE

No comments:

Post a Comment