Saturday, October 26, 2019

SPOKANE AND THE PLOUSE II

Tuesday, the 24th,  I returned to the Turnbull Wildlife Reserve. I had the place to myself I believe. There was only one other photographer out and he was looking for birds. I proceeded to hike most of the trails which were generally short, but covered a lot of countryside. I looked at the various plants and enjoyed photographing a few. It was very enjoyable to stroll around in a new habitat.

Afterwards I once again stopped in Cheney, this time for lunch and to pick up something for dinner.
I had a delicious egg's benedict, and then ordered a vegetarian wrap for our dinner. After a nap back at the hotel I was off for a sunset walk to the West along the Riverside Walk with camera in hand. This time I made it down to parts of Spokane Falls.

Wednesday, 25 Sept. The conference started officially today, and I attended four of the presentations. I was interested in Macro photography, and Focus Stacking. Macro is really capturing the image at 1:1, and Focus Stacking has to do with taking a series of images without moving the camera or lens but changing the focus point a number of times. The result is a really sharp image through out. Another presentation that I enjoyed was "Captured Images vs. Art Images". The art images are those which have been enhanced using Photoshop or another program to give a different rendition of a photograph.
 The best program of the day was in the evening and was presented by Cole Thompson and the topic was Why Black and White.
Here is a link to his website so that you can see some of his work - https://colethompsonphotography.com/portfolios/ 

Thursday 26 Sept. Out this morning for an early morning walk going East. I went past the west side of the Gonzaga University campus. Back at the Conference I attended the breakfast meeting of the Nature Division, and then Lin's presentation on Yellowstone. Later I attended a program on "Techniques for Making B&W Images" where I got a couple of good pointers. In the late afternoon I went West to photograph Spokane Falls. 
PATTERN IN U. S. PAVILLION

A FUN FALLS 1

FUN FALLS A MINUTE LATER

SPOKANE FALLS AND BRIDGE



Along the way I once again found some good food for our dinner. The evening program was by Lewis Kemper and was titled"Expanding your Creativity with Time/Motion Techniques". Lewis Kemper is a widely recognized photographer, writer, and instructor. https://www.lewiskemper.com  He put on a very good program on time-lapse photography, etc. This is an area that I need to explore more.
U.S. PAVILION

ANOTHER ANGLE 
A TOUCH OF FALL

COTTONWOOD LEAF
Friday, 27 Sept. Charles Needles did several presentations today on Macro Photography and iPhone  Photography. As a result I spent a bit of money on apps for the phone as well a couple of his books. After his presentation on iPhone photography we went out for a walk but it was dampened by the weather as it started to rain shortly after we set out.

The evening program was by Nevada Weir, a fine travel photographer who was very dynamic and passionate about her work. She is a National Geographic Photographer, among other accolades.

Saturday, 28 Sept. A cold and rainy day. There were good presentations from Sam Shaw, PSA, on the Elements fo Photo Journalism and Richard Cloran, PSA, on his journey through photography. The final presentation was presented by Clyde Butcher who has spent his life making very large B&W prints   
of the National Parks in Florida. At times he uses a 12x20" View Camera which he made. https://clydebutcher.com/about-the-artist/technical-information/  I highly recommend any photographer to view his website and galleries.

The annual banquet was this evening and closed out the week in Spokane. I enjoyed a light dinner in the bar area of the hotel while Lin went to the banquet. She is and has been very active in PSA and enjoyed the fellowship and various award presentations that were given. As I know very few PSA members I opted not to go to this gala. I enjoyed a light dinner in the Hotel bar.

1 comment:

  1. So much to learn. I would like to attend a conference like this.

    ReplyDelete