Wednesday, January 18, 2017



This morning it was still raining at times. After breakfast we packed up the cars and started exploring a bit. Our first stop was at Sports Basement which is located in the old Commissary building on the Presidio grounds near Crissy Field.

NKV in San Francisco

Golden Gate Bridge On A Stormy Day

I found a pair of winter snow boots rated to -40˚F. These replace my “Mickey Mouse” Boots which were temporarily being replaced with George’s pair of winter boots. I am going to keep these new boots for possible winter outings.

We then headed over the Golden Gate Bridge and climbed the road to the Marin Headlands for photography of the Bridge and the City. The view was lovely though not memorable as it was grey, overcast, with some drizzle. I did get a photograph of a tanker passing under the bridge. From the Headlands I could look straight across the Bay entrance to Baker Beach, and onto our former dwelling on California Street.
San Francisco from Marin Headlands

Baker Beach and the City

Looking to the West of the Bridge

Pt. Reyes to the West from Hawk Hill

Tanker Entering San Francisco Bay

Back in the city, we headed for Baker Beach which is to the West of the Bridge for some more photography. My family often walked to the beach when we lived in San Francisco in 1965-66. We had the time, so we also drove by our old apartment on California Street. Not much had changed. There is a market on the corner of California St. and 23rd Ave. which used to be an ice cream store.  

Baker Beach with Body Surfer
Gnarly Tree, Baker Beach

Legion of Honor and Museums
We then drove to Fisherman’s Wharf for a good lunch as we did not know what all would transpire when we picked up Mark which was to be about 1630. On the way to the airport, we stopped at a Lucky’s to stock our snack larder for the trip. 

Once we picked up Mark and the other three photographers the weather had changed once again. Yosemite was announcing that it was closing Friday afternoon due to possible flooding due to heavy snow fall followed by heavy rain. This called for a revision of our plans back to the original schedule. We headed North to stay two nights in Petaluma. I happily relinquished my driving duties.

Generally it was a good day with several photo opportunities. The downside was that the weather was not particularly favorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment